Sunday, June 19, 2016

I look at a kimono how I would look at a wing dress

Today, we started off the day by heading to the Kyoto station by 10 am. We ate at a little café area where they served a lot of sweets and sandwiches to eat. I chose to eat four different kinds of pastries because once again I couldn’t figure what I should eat and what was good. Afterwards, we visited two temples. The first one was called the Golden Pavilion and the second one was called Ryoanji where there was a rock garden inside. Both of these places had beautiful nature walks and it was really hard not to get lost in all of the beauty of it. My favorite was the rock garden because sitting there looking at it was very peaceful and calming. On top of that, the air smelled fresh and it was quiet again. I loved how quiet it was here.
Golden Pavilion

Rock Garden at Ryoanji temple




After we visited the temples, we went to the shopping center in Kyoto. It was interesting to see some stores that I saw in the United States and some stores that I had never even heard of before. Some of us ate at a restaurant that served Ramen noodles. It was a neat little place because I was placed in a little seating area where they would open a window to see if we needed anything else. The Ritsumeikan student that I was sat with was Shin and he was nice. He showed me how to fill out the form on the type of noodles I wanted and he showed me where I could get water and go to the bathroom. While I was here, I bought myself a kimono because I think the traditional dressing is beautiful here. After I bought the outfit, I wore it around and realized I wanted to learn more about Japanese culture and history.
Shin enjoying his ramen noodles

Waterfront of Kyoto

Denpota and I

At around 7:30 pm, we attended a Kyoto Traditional Musical Art Foundation. My favorite part was the last showing. It was the Bunraku which is a puppet play. It was interesting to watch how they moved the puppet and made it look so realistic. It took three people to move her around for the show. Two of them were completely covered in black so that you couldn’t even see their faces, and one was covered in black except for the face. I wonder if there was a reason behind that. After the show, we went back to BKC and fell asleep for the night. 
Bunraku puppet play

Kyomai (Kyoto Style Dance)

No comments:

Post a Comment